{Eat} Cinnamon Sour Cream Coffee Cake Recipe

I wish I knew where this recipe came from. I just have a photocopy of the handwritten instructions, but I love this cake and it's super easy!

Ingredients:

Batter:
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar (I used 3/4 cup)
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups flour

Topping/Ripple:
1/2 cup pecans, chopped (toasted or untoasted)
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease 9-inch loaf pan or line the bottom with parchment paper.
  2. Mix the Topping/Ripple ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Beat eggs in one at a time. Add sour cream and vanilla. Scrape down sides of bowl as needed.
  4. In a separate bowl, sift together baking soda, baking powder, salt, flour.
  5. Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients until mixed thoroughly.
  6. Pour half of the batter into the pan. Then spread half of the topping on top. Repeat with the remaining batter and topping.
  7. Bake for 55-60 minutes until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let cake cool in pan for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack. 
The inside is nice and moist and the top is a little crunchy due to the brown sugar! It'd probably be better if the pecans were toasted, which these are not because I'm lazy like that. 

 Cinnamon and pecan topping.
Yum. Not sure what the last person who cut a piece was doing. My slice was missing a corner and not cut straight at all.

I've used walnuts instead of pecans before and it tastes just as good! Supposedly you can substitute the sour cream and pecans with apple slices, so I'm going to try adding apples with some pecans instead. I'm not so sure about replacing a major batter ingredient (sour cream) for apples though.

No comments:

Post a Comment